Monday, November 12, 2007

BBC Panorama on ADHD

What's next for Craig?

Most of the estimated half million children in Britain with the behavioural condition Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) receive no treatment at all.


Those that do, tend to be given powerful stimulant medication like Ritalin and Concerta. These drugs can help inattentive and unruly children focus and have been the first choice for doctors treating ADHD over the last decade.

However, stimulant medication is not without its problems.

Similar to amphetamine, it can cause insomnia and suppress the appetite, causing weight loss and stunt growth. There have even been reports of children becoming suicidal on them


Read the rest here

To watch the programme click here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I (chenyl danay garbitt from.moberly lake b.c.) personally think that the government should put pregnancy test in liquor stores ,and bars cause thats when women are most worried that they are pregnant, is while drinking or at the bar. I think they should be free I personally think that you should put the morning after pill in the machine as well. As well condomes and tampons which i think we should get for free its not are fault that we are women and need that kind of stuff, like pretty sure all women brought us into this world and I personally think it ain't our fault and other lady stuff that women need, that we can't help. Or get kids who are sexually active to go on birth control ,and all get papsmeres if they are sexually active, at all ages ,cause we really have to stop having unpretected sex cause not everything you can get medication for, which I hope we find cures for everything to make this world a better place. Thats all for now but if you think this is a good idea. Which I just went to a native confrence about native women drinking and doing drugs with kids and them having problems growing up and learning, because I may be pregnant and i've taken 4 pregnancy test and all negative. But I only got my period for 3 days just spotting ,and I also was late for a month and a half, so I just think it would be best for the whole entire world if you did that, I personally think thats a great idea and as do my girl friends. But thats all I have to
say and if you think this is a good idea I would really appreciate a letter back from you regarding if
you think this is a good idea too lots of thanks my e-mail is danay_garbitt_2006@hotmail.com if your
interested in using my idea lots of thanks Chenyl Danay.